12 Days of Christmas: Day 8. The Christmas Spirit
Updated: Apr 25
The spirit of Christmas is magic and it is different and personal to everyone. It's the anticipation of decorating, the music, family visiting. It’s laughing so hard at the dinner table that your tummy hurts. It’s opening all the gifts and not wanting to pick up all the ripped up wrapping paper. It’s made up of all the traditions and memories you hold near and dear to your heart.
For me the spirit of Christmas is the deep cleaning my mom used to make my sisters and I do. Now, I also do a deep clean but not like hers, I don’t have carpets to scrub thank god! The spirit of Christmas to me is waking up at 5am to start on the food, rushing to get ready before the guests arrive.
I hope to be intentional with my actions and traditions so that I can pass on the spirit of Christmas to my future kids.
These are some of the traditions I want to make to keep the spirit of Christmas alive...
1. The Christmas tree always goes up the weekend right after Thanksgiving while listening to Christmas music and drinking hot chocolate.
2. Family Christmas card.
3. Christmas movie night.
4. Write letters to Santa.
5. Caroling...do people even do this anymore. If yes, I want to move there!
6. Advent calendar.
7. A pre-Christmas sit-down dinner with only my immediate family to really enjoy ourselves and each other before all the chaos.
8. Volunteer for the less fortunate.
9. Bake Christmas cookies.
10. Have a Christmas slumber party with our future kids.
What are your favorite Christmas traditions?
xoxo, This Stepford Wife